Smart Meter Data Collection and AutomationGet the most out of your meters with our powerful gateways, load curve collectors and front-end software
What do Smart Meter Gateways do?
Smart Meter gateways provide advanced protocol conversion and automation functions to enhance the control and data exploitation of smart meters. The gateway collects the data in real-time from one or multiple smart meters via metering protocols like DLMS, IEC 62056–21 and Modbus and then transfers it upstream to the control and supervision system, such as a control center or SCADA. Using a smart meter gateway as a bridge allows to access and collect data from “not-so-smart” meters securely, as the data can be processed and encrypted prior to being transferred to the supervision system.
The data must often be encapsulated for transfers across layers (e.g. serial over TCP/IP, DLMS wrapper) networks or converted to a standard communication protocols such as IEC61850, IEC60870‑5–101/104, Modbus and DNP3.0. Some gateways can also process and concentrate the data as well as execute automation sequences on site to further optimize the exploitation of the metering data and thus the energetic performance of the facility.
Why Use a Smart Meter Gateway?
Advantages with iGrid T&D
Why Use a Smart Meter Gateway?
- Integration of “dumb meters” to your network
- Improved data processing and monitoring
- Higher security through direct encryptions for both remotely reading consumer data and accessing intelligent end-devices
- Decentralized intelligence with data processing on site
- Full exploitation of collected data
- Highly automated smart meter management
- Improved interoperability for multi-vendor networks and retrofits
- Flexible network topology and communication medium
- Improved reliability through local data storage and redundant networks
- Connected or internal PLCs can be used to process data or execute automation sequences and mathematical expressions
Advantages with iGrid
- All-in-one solutions, combining time management, load curve collection, data concentration, protocol conversion, real-time data collection, transfer and storage
- Protocol conversion to and from DLMS, IEC61850, IEC60870‑5–102, IEC 62056–21 and Modbus RTU/TCP
- Seamless encapsulation and conversion for TCP/IP networks and multi-layer communications
- Full interoperability in any electric facility –collect data through any protocol and map it to IEC60870, IEC 61850 or DNP3
- Highly secure, flexible and scalable solution, adaptable to any system requirements/ network topology
- Mathematical/ logic based processing to create new data to report to the control center
- RSTP, HSR and PRP redundant networks
- Simple & user-friendly configuration, operation and commissioning
- Local, internal data storage with high precision time stamping (+ RTC) to prevent any data losses
- Internal PLC based on IEC 61131–3, easily programmable with our free iConf tool
Smart Solutions for Smart Meters
Smart Meter Gateway
Our gateways and RTUs cannot only collect data from up to 24 meters, but also serve as complete communication front-end for the entire energy network (power plant, BMS, substation etc.) combining advanced automation and networking functions with multiple connection possibilities with first or second level SCADAs and Control Centers.
All of our products can collect metering data in real-time using any common metering protocol such as IEC60870‑5–102, IEC 62056–21, Modbus and DLMS. Prior to transferring this data, the data can be directly processed by the iGW/iRTU using mathematical or logical expressions, which can be easily defined with the user-friendly and free iConf tool. The connection to the control centers can be established through any available communication network (GPRS, VSAT, analog/digital radio, Ethernet, etc.) and run on protocols such as IEC 60870‑5–101/104, IEC 61850, Modbus, MQTT or DNP3.0. We are specially commited to advanced solutions based on IEC 61850, find out more about about them here.
We hold longterm relationships with major metering manufacturers, allowing us to gain experience with their devices all around the world. Our products are designed to collect all kinds of metering data as for example loss calculations, power quality measures and generation trends, just to name a few. Control and maintenance staff can also access the meter by establishing a bypass through the gateway.
Load Curve Collection, Processing and Transfer
In addition to collecting real-time metering data at a desired rate, our smart meter gateways can also collect and process load curves, which can be transferred upstream in real-time, by request or periodically.
There are four ways we can do that:
- Converting the load curves into signals with a value and time stamp and sending them to the Control Center
- Storing the data in a file and transferring the file upstream via the desired protocol
- Sending this information via web services
- Allowing the user to connect to the device and download the file directly
Smart Meter Gateway, RTU, PLC, Plant Controller — All in One Device
Just like our software, our versatile, high-performance hardware (iRTU & iGW families) can apply the entire iGrid T&D protocol suite and thus communicate with any device in the power plant plant or the grid-interfacing substation. Using iGrid T&D hardware as plant controller and/or substation RTU is in turn the easiest way to maintain full vendor-independence.
Thanks to our long-term experiences and R&D activities in generation applications and our powerful software communication core, we can provide a broad portfolio of solutions for energy generation projects. Our secured and cost-saving hardware combines multiple roles and functionalities within one device:
- Plant Controller to control, collect and process data from all plant devices, such as inverters, trackers, string boxes, solar arraysm, environmental sensors, protection relays and meters
- Real-time data collection and transfer, through multiple serial and ethernet ports as well as integrated digital and analog I/Os with high precision and reliable time synchronization
- Multi-layer Protocol Converter for all desired protocol conversions accross plant devices, platforms and network levels
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC), programmable in 5 langauges with IEC 61131–3 using the free iConf tool
- Automatic Generation Control (AGC) and Power Plant Control (PPC) for active market participaction and grid support
- Smart Meter Gateway, mapping metering signals in DLMS, IEC 62056–21, Modbus or IEC60870‑5–102 onto upstream protocols such as DNP3 to connect directly to control centers/ master stations
- Substation Gateway with advanced IEC 61850 and redundancy capabilities to connect to control centers, Ethernet, GPRS and IP networks, IEDs, plant and substation equipment, serial devices and data bases
- Data Concentration with our unlimited smart meter management software or iGW devices, which can collect data from up to 24 smart meters at the same time
- Load Curve collection, processing and transfer
- Bay Controller Unit (BCU)/ Substation RTU, controlling, collecting and processing data from all devices that are part of the grid connection, substation and protection system, such as relays, switchgear and transformers
Simple Architecture Using a Smart Meter Gateway
Example with iGWlite
Different Devices for Different Demands
Communication protocols are not the only factor to consider when one is going for maximum flexbility and independence. Our products can be ordered with a range of communication ports and I/Os to serve different communication media.
For example, an iRTU can carry an embedded Ethernet switch to connect to several redundant Ethernet networks, several serial ports for serial IEDs or meters, and a GPRS modem for wireless communication with the control center.
We have developed a broad variety of devices and device families with many configuration options to cost-effective solutions for any project requirements.
We can also announce the upcoming launch of the iRTUcompact, a new compact device with integrated I/Os for generation and smart metering applications.
iGW – Powerful Software in Its Favorite Case
The iGW is a powerful and secure protocol gateway, providing advanced redundancy functions and carrying 2 Ethernet and 4 serial ports and an (optional) embedded Ethernet switch for 2 additional Ethernet ports (total of 4).
iGWlite – The “Lite” Gateway
The iGWlite carries the same software core as well as 1 Ethernet, 1 RS485/RS422 and an optional RS-232 port (copper or fiber) or a 2G/3G/4G modem – taking little space on a DIN-Rail, but still employing the full iGrid protocol stack.
iRTU – The Gateway with Integrated I/Os
The iRTU is an reliable and scalable controller with internal and configurable I/O capabilities for direct data acquisition, the iGrid protocol stack, multiple Ethernet and serial ports, high-precision time synch, and an optional embedded Ethernet switch.
Having everything combined in one future-oriented device saves a lot of time and money, whilst remote plant locations, complex networks and eventual changes/replacements stop being a costly threat to your investment. Further prevention against financial losses can be provided by redundant infrastructure. iRTUs/iGWs can be operated in hot-standby redundancy modes and support RSTP/PRP/HSR to protect your network from any device failures.
Furthermore, our gateways/ controllers are capable of high precision time-synchronzation (<1ms) via PTP or NTP and carry internal high-accuracy Real-Time Clocks (RTC, 1ppm). This allows to record events with a micro-second time stamping accuracy, even when connection to the time source (masterclock) is lost, permitting to trace failures back meticulously.
All of our devices are capable of high precision time-synchronization (<1ms) via PTP or NTP and carry internal Real-Time Clocks with a an accuracy of 1ppm. This allows to keep on recording events with a micro-second time stamping accuracy, even when connection to the time source (masterclock) is lost, permitting to trace failures back meticulously.
iConf has been specifically developed for electrical applications, saving you lots of time and money throughout the control system set-up and maintenance tasks, whilst also minimizing your project risks. You can use the software tool to configure all igrid devices and software systems as well as design IEC 61850 projects, to up and download your configurations, and create your own templates.
All of our devices can provide RSTP, HSR & PRP (IEC 62439–3) redundancy
- Modern substation automation without packet losses and latencies
- Invisible to the application and usable by most industrial Ethernet protocols
- For applications requiring high availability and quick switchovers
Our Smart Meter Gateway Software Solutions
The same functions can be performed with our software solutions, which share their core iGComms with our hardware. You can either run our software as communication front-end on your preferred hardware device with the unlimited and scalable iGW-VM application or integrate it in an existent system, such as a smart meter management or automated meter reading system.
The equipped system (server) will not only be able to manage data from thousands of smart meters, but also function as multi-layer network gateway to communicate through several protocols and VPN, IP, Ethernet and serial networks, acting as a substation communication core or gateway to SCADA systems and control centers
If you devices and data to be visualized or you need to control entire generation plants, facilities or substations, you can also use our iControl SCADA software. It allows you to both communicate with Smart Meters and at the same time enjoy all the other functions required for a comfortable and automated control of electrical networks. iControl SCADA can operate on several levels, from gateway to control center and be deployed in many different architectures, including redundant client-server based schemes. As such, it can serve as a platform for all actors involved. It can be accessed through multiple clients or via web browser, using role-based access control to guarantee a customized user experience and manage permissions and responsabilities.
iGW-VM — Main Gateway/Hub
- Can act as central gateway, meter management & automation system, communicating with thousands of meters
- Highly scalable and powerful gateway software for any server running on windows or linux
- Provides powerful multi-layer protocol conversion capabilities to your entire network
iControl SCADA — from GW to CC
- For all levels, from network/ substation Gateway and SCADA HMI to Control Center
- Can communicate with all meters and devices
- Provides all required functionalities, such as event manager, automatic line coloring, automated reporting etc.
iGW-VM — Communication front-end
- Equip any meter, gear, control system, device or PLC with iGrid’s software core iGComms
- iGrid protocol suite for powerful multi-layer protocol conversion capabilities
- Powerful automation functions, such as PLC programming
Powerful, Secure and Reliable Communication Technology
We want to keep the operation of your power network as simple as possible without renouncing advanced functionalities. For this reason, based on our in-field experience, we designed powerful and flexible hardware for the energy industry. Our user-friendly hardware facilitates smooth implementations and can be easily adjusted to your needs with our free & simple iConf tool.
We are aware of the broad diversity of components a system constructor is confronted with. With our solutions you no longer need to worry about system topology, communication media, compatibility or network inefficiencies.
We encourage to set up open and scalable communication network architectures, which will allow you to comfortably react to any kind of changes in your plant’s network and replace third party devices at any given time.
Although our devices are already configurable and versatile by design, we also provide further product configurations and tailored services upon request.
Global Compliance and Interoperability
Thanks to our experiences with electrical networks and substations in a variety of industries all around the planet, our products have been prepared for an immense range of high-demanding requirements and standards, guaranteeing a peaceful approval process for any project in any country. Our certifications range from EMC compatibility and communication protocol standards like IEC 61850 to cyber security means and have been asserted by third party certification bodies like DNV GL/ KEMA.
Why Use a Smart Meter Gateway by iGrid T&D?
Our advanced Smart Meter Gateways can handle a broad variety of protocols and architectures but also provide numerous other technological features and functionalities for all kind of applications and requirements.
As a client you can benefit from a uniquely flexible and scalable all-in-one solution that is easy to use and saves a lot of costs throughout the entire project.
Solution Benefits & Functions
Full real-time control over all devices and meters
Control of up to 24 meters with one device
Load curve collection
Strong certifications from independent certification bodies
Maximum network flexiblity
High cyber security standards
Optimized efficiency and generation output
Local and remote data storage
Customized training & support
Remote maintenance/ testing
Improved reliability & security
Wireless SCADA communication
Remote substation monitoring and control
Automated generation control (AGC)
Powerful & comfortable data recording including data exports & SQL
Worldwide high and medium voltage compliance
Automatic alarms & reporting
Minimize data losses
Historical & real-time trends analysis
State-of-the-art technology (incl. IEC 61850)
Role-based access control
Engineering & maintenance cost reduction
Full interoperability and vendor-independence
Automatic data storage
Reduced space for human error
Graphical visualization of measurements & data
Simple device set-up/ deployment
Local & global alarm generation
Lost energy analysis
Our Smart Metering Services
- Smart Meter Gateway
- Communication front-end for meter mangement systems
- Load curve collection, processing and transfer
- Real-time metering data collection, concentration, process and transfer
- Plant Controller and Main Gateway
Sleep Peacefully with Expert Cyber Security
iGrid T&D enforces several layers of security measures guided by the propositions of the IEC 62531 standard to protect its devices from all kinds of threats.
Our hardened devices feature Role Based Access Control (RBAC) to avoid intrinsic risks such as security holes and unauthorized actions by authenticated users.
In addition to end-to-end encryptions via TSL/SSL, HTTPS, SSH and standard procedures for VPNs (e.g. OpenVPN), its communication can also be secured with network control methods such as firewalls, IP filters, ACL or TCP port blocks.
Full Independence for an Open Architecture
All of our products support several types of communication media, such as wireless (GPRS/ 3g, 4g), VSAT, radio, Ethernet or Serial, and can communicate with the entire iGrid T&D protocol suite. Thanks to our extensive experience we can ensure the seamless integration of our products with any third party devices.
All of our devices can operate in hot-standby redundancy mode:
- Hot-standby server/device is updated continuously
- Clients and IEDs automatically switch to the hot-standby server
- Serial loop redundancy (hot standby gateway acts as a (virtual) serial port to arrive to disconnected devices)
All our devices can execute logical/mathematical functions and automation sequences with super high speeds thanks to their PLC capabilities.
The integrated PLC is highly scalable and has been applied in all kinds of fields to solve a broad variety of challenges.
User-friendly and graphical programming module (editor) for automation sequences and PLCs based on IEC 61131–3.
In this project the iGW was deployed by a major meter manufacturer in over 150 generation plans, concentrating 8 high-end meters through DLMS as well as mapping and sending the data to the control center via the IEC60870‑5–104 and Modbus RTU/TCP.
In this project the IGW-VM software application monitors and controls thousands of meters, collecting all their data, including load profiles, through several protocols (e.g. Modbus, IEC60870‑5–102 and DLMS) and delivering it to a metering application using JSON webservices
Smart Metering Products
Powerful and reliable substation gateway, able to run either in standalone or redundant modes, with an embedded Ethernet switch (4 ports) and IEC 61850 client and server capabilities.
High-performance SCADA for the management and control of one or several PV plants. It can run either in client/server or standalone mode, providing advanced functionalities such as hot-standby redundancy, automatic line coloring, events notification (via e‑mail and sms), SQL logging, advanced data analytics and reports generation.
It can also serve as Smart Meter Gateway, directly communicating with Smart Meters with the same redundancy and communication protocol capabilities as our hardware.
Compact and scalable bay controller which can act as IEC 61850 client or server, featuring configurable I/O boards for direct data acquisition, high-precision timestamping and an optional Ethernet switch for additional Ethernet ports.
iGWs, iRTUs and third party master units can be freely extended by connecting one or several iRTUe.
They are IEC 61850 (GOOSE) compliant and come in many configurations such as 48 DI, 16 relays, 16 AI, 24 DI + 8 relays, 24 DI + 8 AI or 8 relays + 8 AI.
iGrid Solutions and Applications
Automation with IEC 61850
The IEC 61850 standard is enabling new oportunities for vendor interoperability and advanced substation automation. Find out how you can take advantage of IEC 61850 with easy-to-use and adaptable solutions for a simple migration or retrofit.
HV Substation Automation
Powerful substation automation systems often handle numerous communication protocols and media within one network, which can result in expensive and complex projects. Avoid these problems with interoperable technology and smart configuration tools.
MV Distribution Grid Automation
It is often difficult to find the exact solution you need in a MV application, leading to higher costs than necessary. With our scalable and adaptable solutions you will be able to only pay for what you really need, without comprimising on quality or security.
Photovoltaic Power Station
Using an open and scalable SCADA system to monitor and control a PV plant comes with many benefits on several levels. Find out how advanced communication technology affects PV operation, maintenance, system design, investment security, profits…
As communication networks grow in complexity, “plug and play” promises become harder to keep. Interoperable protocol converters and software solutions with state-of-the-art capabilities and funcitonalities can be the bridge to all the functions and flexibility your network needs.
Generation Dispatch Control Center
With a generation dispatch enter you can automatically control the generation of all power plants and make direct bids for ancillary services on one platform. Check out the most efficient communication path between generation sites, grid operators and the power market.
A single device that collects, processes, transfers smart meter data and load curves from several meters in different protocols via serial or Ethernet, whilst providing advanced automation functions? Adaptable designs and a full communication protocol suite make it possible.
Switchgear & Transformers
Sometimes you have preferred gear for a project or it has already been installed, but it is lacking the communication capabilities to provide the automation functions you are looking for. With our software core iGComms any device can be as smart as you want it to be.